[Bitcoin-development] Version 0.7 release planning

Wladimir laanwj at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 18:56:09 UTC 2012

Geir,

There were a lot of subtle changes to the English base messages such as
capitalization or punctuation, I know this is pretty annoying for
translators. It is a pity that there is no way to update all translations
when the English base message changes but not significantly enough to
trigger re-translation. I've looked but Transifex does not have that option.

Also there were new duplicated strings:

> "Verify a message to ensure it was signed with a specified Bitcoin address"
> "Sign a message to prove you own a Bitcoin address"
> "Clear &All"

Duplicate strings are not a problem. Some strings are used multiple times
in the program, and thus appear multiple times in the translation. This is
because there are cases in which a string that is the same in English is
translated differently in another language based on the context.

At least Qt translator fills duplicates in automatically, with the option
to change them if desired. I'm not sure about Transifex but I've heard it's
the same there.

> These two seem odd:
> Use UPnP to map the listening port (default: 0)
> Use UPnP to map the listening port (default: 1 when listening)

The default depends on compiler flags, hence the two messages. I suppose
the message could be split up, so that "Use UPnP to map the listening port"
is factored out.

Let's do this after 0.7.0 release though, otherwise all the translations
for those messages will be broken again. There should be no more message
changes before the release unless there is a very good reason.

Wladimir