[Bitcoin-development] BIP 35: add mempool message

Stefan Thomas moon at justmoon.de
Thu Aug 16 19:21:14 UTC 2012

> This seems safe, although it forces other full implementations that want to
> expose protocol version 60002 (or later) to also implement this. What do they
> think about this?

BitcoinJS will implement it, it's a useful feature and there is no
reason not to support it.

Two comments from my end:

- This is just a thought, but I wouldn't mind using a new inv_type for
this, e.g. MSG_MEMTX. I could conceivably see a future where broadcast
and relay txs are stored in a very fast local cache whereas the general
mempool is stored in a slower data structure. By being able to
distinguish incoming getdata requests I can save a few milliseconds by
querying the right storage right away. Might also help with things like
telling apart broadcast/relayed transactions from the response to a
mempool request for purposes like DoS scoring etc.

Not a big deal by any means, but I also don't see a downside to it.
inv_types are not a scarce resource, we have four billion of them available.

For now clients would just treat MSG_TX and MSG_MEMTX interchangeably.

- If a node doesn't have anything in it's mempool it sends back an empty
inv message. This is either ambiguous (if other things also send empty
inv messages in the future) or arbitrary (why should an empty inv be
associated with a mempool request of all things.) Instead why not
respond with an inv message that contains a single element of type
MSG_MEMTX and hash 0. That would a very direct way to indicate that this
response is associated with a mempool request.

I'm not married to either suggestion, just trying to add my perspective.
One thing you notice when reimplementing Bitcoin is that Bitcoin's
protocol leaves out a lot of information not for space reasons, but
because the reference client's implementation doesn't happen to need it.
Sometimes however this locks other clients into doing things the same
way. If we can make the protocol a bit richer, especially if this
doesn't cost any extra bytes, then we should consider it as it might
help some implementation down the road make a neat optimization.