[Bitcoin-development] Chain dust mitigation: Demurrage based Chain Vacuuming

Wladimir laanwj at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 12:40:52 UTC 2012

I do think it would be nice to sweep up dust transactions, however I'm not
that happy with your solution

1) Wouldn't the need to re-transact your coins to keep them safe from
"vultures", result in people frantically sending coins to themselves, and
thus expand the block chain, instead of reduce growth?

2) putting those hard limits in passes a value judgement that IMO should
not be present in the protocol. <1BTC may be worth a lot some day, or it
could go the other way around, with dust spam of 10+ BTC. Either way the
limits will have to be changed again, with yet another fork.

3) The (normal) user does not have a view of his balance consisting of
inputs and outputs of various sizes. He just sees his balance as one
number. And somehow, inexplicably (except through a very difficult
explanation), it's going down... what if he has 10000 BTC in 0.9999999 BTC
units? Annnnnd it's gone after 210000 blocks.

I wonder if there is a way for the whole process to be transparent to the
user. The wallet is 'defragmented' but without losing the swept up coins to
the miner.

Wladimir