[Bitcoin-development] BIP 32 HD wallets, accounts should be labels not numbers

Pieter Wuille pieter.wuille at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 13:54:12 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Amir Taaki <zgenjix at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Can this be amended? I think it makes much more sense to allow people to
> input labels not numbers at this level.
>
> General category names for different accounts is much more human than
> numbers, and you can still use incrementing numbers if you prefer.

There is no way to iterate over all strings. The intention is that a wallet
application can detect a new account that becomes in use (e.g. during
disaster recovery), so the accounts get assigned incrementing numbers.

I wouldn't mind adding the ability to do "non-standard derivations" using
arbitrary strings, if this recoverability property is not desired.

--
Pieter