[Bitcoin-development] Roadmap to getting users onto SPV clients

Gary Rowe g.rowe at froot.co.uk
Wed Dec 5 09:43:58 UTC 2012

I would like to chime on on the user experience of the SPV client (in
particular MultiBit).

Without exception, everyone that I have introduced Bitcoin (which is a lot
of people) have expected an "instant-on" experience. It has to clobber
PayPal and credit cards or people won't give it a second look, let alone a
second chance. SPV clients deliver on that expectation.

Once the user has the great initial "wow!" moment then their interest in
Bitcoin is reinforced and they tend to explore further, particularly into
the economic theory behind it. Many decide to install the full node out of
a sense of community contribution to the security of the network.

Having a hybrid mode of SPV first then full node second should be something
that a user has control over - it is their computing resources we are using
after all and Bitcoin should not be perceived as a drain.