[Bitcoin-development] Git repo choices

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 22:00:22 UTC 2012

I'm a little unclear on which repo is which and
for what intended uses. And other than #1,
their descriptions on the hubs are minimal.
I'm not the best with git, but getting there.
Are these the right way to think of them?
And that #1 and #3 are what most builders
and hacks should be tracking?

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin.git

The current development tree. As such, HEAD/master/origin
may at times not be exactly reliable/usable.

https://git.gitorious.org/bitcoin/bitcoind.git

A copy of some chunk of #1 that then died
off around v0.4.0. Purposed similar to #3?

https://git.gitorious.org/bitcoin/bitcoind-stable.git

Another copy of #1. For development along stable
branches and making release cuts from same?
Releases get pulled back to #1 for keeping?
The HEAD/master/origin should be reliable.

Why is this functoin not a part of #1?

Thanks.