[Bitcoin-development] off-topic: bitcoin-forum...

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 00:13:13 UTC 2012

> Some time ago i started a googlegroup mailing list, bitcoin-discussion.
> It's been pretty low-volume... but it's something. :)
> http://groups.google.com/group/bitcoin-discussion

Unfortunately it appears to be just as dead as the one
on sourceforge.

> or we could try to revive the bitcoin-list ml on sf.

Well there's a couple things I see...

1) Yes, IMO, a real mailing list for users needs to exist.
Among the prior reasons... lists tend to house a more
technical crowd than forums which are magnets for
initiates.
2) There was originally one client. Now there are many,
all adherant to the same bitcoin spec. So while:
 bitcoin-development at lists.sourceforge.net
represents the dev community for the original client,
it may not, or won't be, for any other client.
And as:
 bitcoin-list at lists.sourceforge.net
was for, and is administratively tied to, the original client...
it may not be the place, or a welcome one, to hold talk of all
the adherant clients.
3) The sourceforge list browsing interface is ridiculously
lame and overweight, and it doesn't appear to be setting
a '^Reply-to: ' header which is bad. Googlegroups would
be an ok site I suppose. And a pure MailMan interface would
be even better and more customarily accepted.

So for the user list, I'd suggest:
1) Search a bit to make sure there's not already a busy list
out there somewhere. Check the list aggregator sites
like markmail, gmane, etc too.
2) Charter it as bitcoin protocol, client agnostic.
3) Find an impartial administrative and robust home for the list
with browsable, searchable and hopefully downloadable archives.
4) Make the announcement to other known client lists/forums.
5) Close any relevant old lists.
6) Promote via similar announcement from time to time.

http://groups.google.com/group/bitcoin-discussion/about

Is this sufficient charter to go with? Is the creator/maintainer
known impartial? What happens to ongoing list operations when
said people vanish? It is presumed googlegroups itself is robust.