[Bitcoin-development] Duplicate transactions vulnerability

Ben Reeves support at pi.uk.com
Tue Feb 28 20:35:05 UTC 2012

I might be wrong but I think perhaps it would help to get this fix out before the p2sh protocol change. Otherwise a miner could combine a duplicate coinbase and an invalid P2SH transaction to create a block which can have excellent network propagation and still be guaranteed to be orphaned. This makes the attack significantly easier to perform.

If someone were to do this on the day of the P2SH switchover they could corrupt the database of all clients < 0.6 with only a single block. If it was done on an early block and was widespread enough it would make it difficult for new clients to find a genuine non-corrupted copy of the blockchain to download.

Thank You,
Ben Reeves
www.blockchain.info