[Bitcoin-development] Alternative to OP_EVAL

Stefan Thomas moon at justmoon.de
Mon Jan 2 15:14:32 UTC 2012

The OP_EVAL discussion went into some private discussion for a bit, so
here is a summary of what we talked about.

Roconnor pointed out that the currently proposed OP_EVAL removes the
ability to statically reason about scripts. Justmoon pointed out that
this is evidenced by the changes to GetSigOpCount:

Currently, the client first counts the number of sigops and if it is
over a certain limit, it doesn't execute the script at all. This is no
longer possible with OP_EVAL, since OP_EVAL can stand for any number of
other operations, which might be part of some piece of data. The script
that is executed by OP_EVAL can be changed (polymorphic code). Gavin's
patch deals with this, by counting the sigops at runtime and aborting
only after the limit has been reached.

Here is an example for a script that based on naive counting contains no
sigops, but in fact contains 20:

[20 signatures] 20 [pubkey] OP_DUP OP_DUP OP_2DUP OP_3DUP OP_3DUP
OP_3DUP OP_3DUP OP_3DUP 20 "58959998C76C231F" OP_RIPEMD160 OP_EVAL

RIPEMD160( 58 95 99 98 C7 6C 23 1F )

hashes to

AE4C10400B7DF3A56FE2B32B9906BCF1B1AFE975

which OP_EVAL interprets as

OP_CHECKMULTISIG "400B7DF3A56FE2B32B9906BCF1B1AFE9" OP_DROP

The nonce 58959998C76C231F was generated using this code:
https://gist.github.com/1546061

Gavin and Amir argued that it is possible to "dry run" the script,
avoiding the expensive OP_CHECKSIG operation and running only the other
very cheap operations. However, sipa pointed out that in the presence of
an OP_CHECKSIG a dry runner cannot predict the outcome of conditional
branches, so it has to either do the OP_CHECKSIG (and become just a
regular execution) or it has to follow both branches. Roconnor and
justmoon suggested the following script to illustrate this point:

[sig] [pubkey]
[some data]
[sig] [pubkey] OP_CHECKSIG OP_IF OP_HASH160 OP_ELSE OP_HASH256 OP_ENDIF
(previous line repeated 33 times with different sigs/pubkeys)
OP_EVAL

This script is valid assuming that the resulting hash from the branch
that is chosen based on what signatures are valid contains an
OP_CHECKSIG. (And the initial [sig] and [pubkey] are valid.) But a dry
runner trying to count how many OP_CHECKSIGs this script contains would
run into the first OP_CHECKSIG OP_IF and have to run both branches. In
both branches it would again encounter a OP_CHECKSIG OP_IF and run all
four branches, etc. In total it has to run (2^33 - 2) * 1.5 SHA256
operations (8 GHash) and 2^32 - 1 RIPEMD160 operations. Therefore we now
believe a dry runner is not possible or at least too complicated to be
involved in protocol rules such as the sigops limit.

As a result people are now on a spectrum from those who feel strongly
that static analysis is an important property and not something to give
up easily all the way to those who think it's superfluous and the other
side is just unnecessarily delaying OP_EVAL deployment.

One thing I want to note is that static analysis is a property for which
there is a better argument than for other, weaker properties, such as
limited recursion depth. Bitcoin currently allows you to:

* Tell if a script contains a specific opcode or not
* Count how many times a script will execute an operation at most
* Count how many total operations a script will execute at most
* Count how many signatures a script will execute at most
* Find the maximum length of a datum pushed onto the stack
* Find the maximum number of items that can be pushed onto the stack
* Find the maximum size (in bytes) of the stack
* Calculate how long a script will run at most

OP_EVAL as proposed makes these upper bounds almost meaningless as it
can contain, indirectly, up to 32 instances of any other opcode. (About
3-6 instances are currently practical.) The only way to answer these
questions would then be to fully execute the script.

Suppose we want to one day allow arbitrary scripts as IsStandard, but
put constraints on them, such as enforcing a subset of allowed opcodes.
(See list above for other possible restrictions.) If we want to include
OP_EVAL in the set of allowed opcodes, it's important that OP_EVAL is
implemented in a way that allows static analysis, because we can then
allow it while still maintaining other restrictions.

If proponents of the current implementation want to argue that we don't
need static analysis now, the burden is on them to show how we could
retrofit it when/if we get to this point or why they think we will never
want to allow some freedom in IsStandard that includes OP_EVAL.

There are several proposals for OP_EVAL that allow static analysis:

* Using a fixed position reference prefix (sipa)
* Using an execute bit on data set by an opcode (justmoon)
* Using OP_CODEHASH (roconnor)
* Using OP_CHECKEDEVAL (sipa)
* Using OP_HASH160 OP_EQUALVERIFY as a special sigPubKey (gavinandresen)

Let's fully develop these proposals and see how much of a hassle it
would actually be to get a statically verifiable OP_EVAL. I think that's
a prerequisite for having the argument on whether it is *worth* the hassle.

(Update: Gavin's latest proposal looks *very* good, so that may settle
the debate quickly.)