[Bitcoin-development] bitcoin.org SOPA/PIPA blackout

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Tue Jan 17 02:25:20 UTC 2012

On Monday, January 16, 2012 7:46:39 PM Alan Reiner wrote:
> poltical issue/.  It strikes at the heart of everything Bitcoin is about.

Sorry, Bitcoin is not about the same thing to everyone. For me, Bitcoin is
about one thing: providing a monetary system for the Tonal number system.
Otherwise, it would be merely an interesting project I have no real concern
with. To assume everyone has the same interests is a sure-fire way to prevent
widescale adoption. If you want Bitcoin to succeed, don't try to impose a
single purpose/"about" on everyone using it (which a "blackout" would do).

> Barring Bitcoin-specific legislation, I don't see how any legislation
> could be more relevant to Bitcoin and the community around it.

Bitcoin is an innovative new currency. How is a bill on internet censorship
(which is badly needed, even if not in the form of SOPA/PIPA) directly
relevant? I don't think it is.