[Bitcoin-development] bitcoin.org SOPA/PIPA blackout

Vladimir Marchenko vladimir at marchenko.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 09:19:04 UTC 2012

On 17 January 2012 00:30, Amir Taaki <zgenjix at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Wikipedia has far more need to remain neutral and apolitical than bitcoin ever does- you've read Satoshi's politically charged whitepaper or seen the genesis block quote.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SOPA_initiative/Action

I would like to voice my support to Amir here. It is a solidarity
gesture and from my point of view it would be great if bitcoin related
websites join the Blackout. In my view it is almost like Internet's
general strike, which is being enacted for a very good reason. To some
degree, ignoring it and continuing business as usual is almost
equivalent to being a strikebreaker.

For whatever it worth, all websites where I have some degree of
control will particpate in the blackout. Even where it means loss of
revenue for one day (actually it is likely that ad revenues tomorrow
would be easily twice the usual amount due to so many publishers
shutting down their websites.)