[Bitcoin-development] BIP 0020: URI Scheme

bitcoin-list at bluematt.me bitcoin-list at bluematt.me
Sat Jan 28 00:36:31 UTC 2012

It was implemented in the waylaying client with the merge of Bitcoin-Qt for drag and drop, and just recently for system URI handling in https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/70f55355e29c8e45b607e782c5d76609d23cc858. However the version on the wiki armed as BIP 20 has a ton of extraneous crap in it's number encoding which is not implemented in Bitcoin-Qt since it was explicitly voted against at the time the spec was being discussed. If that stuff were removed, I would agree that it is final.

Luke-Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

On Friday, January 27, 2012 5:51:04 PM Amir Taaki wrote:
> BIP 0020 is the old URI scheme BIPisized.
>
> ATM it is Draft status.

It's been Final (even according to BIP 1 standards) since late January 2011.
The only change recently is assigning it a BIP number for formality.

> I do not know enough about the discussion back last year to know whether to
> move it to Accepted status or not. My feelings are that having a
> re-decision (even if it was accepted last year) is healthy since it makes
> no sense to have a standard before a standardisation process existed.

Once P2SH is deployed, it will probably make good sense to revisit the URI
Scheme for revision, and eventually move BIP 20 to Replaced/Superceded status.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-dev2