[Bitcoin-development] Quote on BIP 16

Alan Reiner etotheipi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 05:23:13 UTC 2012

It certainly wouldn't hurt if there was a way to use OP_MULTICHECKSIG
with hash160 values instead... I doubt that's workable, though.

At the moment, I feel that the copy&paste size problem is much smaller
than the risk we take implementing such a huge change to the network.  I
almost feel like, we should have multi-sig in place, thoroughly tested
and available, as something to fall back on if something goes wrong with
BIP 13/16/17 after implementation.  After all, I've been promoting the
idea of considering the "cost" to fixing an erroneous/insecure
implementation, as consideration for the proposals at hand.

But gmaxwell has expressed some compelling reasons why plain multi-sig
might be abused, which maybe suggests we don't want it ever considered
standard...?  I guess I'm not really promoting one thing or another, but
I feel like copy&pasting is not a big deal (after all, it exists to
moving large amounts of data around).  Then of course, I use
home-shift-end all the time, and regular users may not be so adept at
copying long strings.

-Alan