[Bitcoin-development] CAddrMan: Stochastic IP address manager

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 08:19:27 UTC 2012

> I think it's important that we have more mechanisms then just DNS and
> hardcoded seednodes.
> This is important because the mechanisms we have are all pretty
> subject to blocking. Now— before you say it— Bitcoin isn't intended to
> be blocking resistant (combine it with Tor and Tor anti-censorship
> tools)
> Is the fact that users can addnodes / addr.txt enough of an
> alternative to address this?

Perhaps not worry about removing it too much. As above, if blocking
or other issues arise, people will be hosting manual lists and nodes
on hidden sites... Tor/I2P/etc. The nodes are already there.
For that matter, since the nodes are talking once seeded, why not
deploy a DHT and be done. All you'd need is one friendly node and
the list comes in and maintains itself through node expiry rules.
Your node publishes its hello for others to discover, etc.
IRC, DNS, etc would go away in favor of autonomy. It wouldn't
be any more resistant. But if people wanted that, some form of
signatures from the hidden nodes would do... if you trusted them.
Booting and running is easy, trust isn't (ask the Tor/I2P people).