[Bitcoin-development] CAddrMan: Stochastic IP address manager

solar solar at heliacal.net
Tue Jan 31 13:50:13 UTC 2012

We split IRC among all those channels to handle the load when there were 60k clients.. the ideal thing would be some kind of dynamic sizing, and this applies to the number of outbound connections and transaction relaying logic too.. the same values that work for 1k clients don't work as well for 50k.  It is difficult to get this kind of thing tuned correctly, especially with the added complexity of potentially malicious nodes.

I think the observed isolation problems, with or without IRC, are simply due to there not being many bitcoin nodes leaving/joining the network.  The ones that are stable are happy with their 8 connections or whatever they're set to, and they're just relaying.  There are only about 5k clients on IRC now.. it would probably work to go back to the single channel model as (at least from the IRC point of view) the usage is declining not growing.  Maybe people are just turning off IRC though.  IRC works well with many channels having a few clients each, not with one channel having many clients.  We considered probing bitcoin clients to see if they're listening and favoring those clients in the WHO response, kind of like the DNS booters, but nobody got around to doing it.

Still, I think it's good to have a bunch of different ways to bootstrap in case one or the other is broken/poisoned.

Laszlo