[Bitcoin-development] BIP 20 Rejected, process for BIP 21N

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 14:59:26 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 9:33 AM, slush <slush at centrum.cz> wrote:
> excuse me if it was already discussed, but maybe using satoshis instead of
> decimal bitcoin would be better choice? We all know about pains with proper
> handling decimal numbers across of all implementations - and it's not only
> about json-rpc.

Mixed bag of worms there, even ignoring what people have already
implemented— if you make it use satoshis people who are working with
things at COIN scale are inevitably going to end up multiplying
numbers stored as radix-2 floating point to get satoshis and then are
going to be confused when it comes out "wrong".

Using decimal numbers at least lets them treat the values as strings
and avoid arithmetic that will end up confusing them.