[Bitcoin-development] BIP 34: Block v2, Height in Coinbase

Peter Vessenes peter at coinlab.com
Fri Jul 6 16:45:01 UTC 2012

So,

The proposal is simple, and it's a small change for miners, I imagine.

My question is: why?

I worry about stuffing too many requirements on the coinbase. I suppose the
coinbase is easily extendible if we run out of bytes, but I think I'd like
to see some more discussion / good / bad type cases for making this change.
What do we get over just the prev_hash by doing this?

If this is just a voting mechanism for moving to v2 blocks, that's cool,
but it would be nice to codify voting in the coinbase a bit? Maybe? We've
now once voted with /p2sh/ and this is a different mechanism now, if I
understand it properly.

Anyway, some background would be great; if I missed it, I'm happy to go
read up, but I didn't see any links on the wiki.

Peter

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 8:10 AM, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik at exmulti.com> wrote:

> Please review and comment...
>
> Block v2, Height in Coinbase
> https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/BIP_0034
>
>   BIP: 34
>   Title: Block v2, Height in Coinbase
>   Author: Gavin Andresen <gavinandresen at gmail.com>
>   Type: Standards Track
>   Created: 2012-07-06
>
> Abstract
>
> Bitcoin blocks and transactions are versioned binary structures. Both
> currently use version 1. This BIP introduces an upgrade path for
> versioned transactions and blocks. A unique nonce is added to newly
> produced coinbase transactions, and blocks are updated to version 2.
>

> Motivation
>
> 1.    Clarify and exercise the mechanism whereby the bitcoin network
> collectively consents to upgrade transaction or block binary
> structures, rules and behaviors.
>
> 2.    Enforce block and transaction uniqueness, and assist unconnected
> block validation.
>

> Specification
>
> 1.    Treat transactions with a version greater than 1 as non-standard
> (official Satoshi client will not mine or relay them).
>
> 2.    Add height as the first item in the coinbase transaction's
> scriptSig, and increase block version to 2. The format of the height
> is "serialized CScript" -- first byte is number of bytes in the number
> (will be 0x03 on main net for the next 300 or so years), following
> bytes are little-endian representation of the number.
>
> 3.    75% rule: If 750 of the last 1,000 blocks are version 2 or
> greater, reject invalid version 2 blocks. (testnet3: 51 of last 100)
>
> 4.    95% rule ("Point of no return"): If 950 of the last 1,000 blocks
> are version 2 or greater, reject all version 1 blocks. (testnet3: 75
> of last 100)
>

> Backward compatibility
>
> All older clients are compatible with this change. Users and merchants
> should not be impacted. Miners are strongly recommended to upgrade to
> version 2 blocks. Once 95% of the miners have upgraded to version 2,
> the remainder will be orphaned if they fail to upgrade.
>

> Implementation
>
> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/1525 and
> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/1526
>
> --
> Jeff Garzik
> exMULTI, Inc.
> jgarzik at exmulti.com

[image: CoinLab Logo]PETER VESSENES
CEO

*peter at coinlab.com * /  206.486.6856  / SKYPE: vessenes
811 FIRST AVENUE  /  SUITE 480  /  SEATTLE, WA 98104