[Bitcoin-development] Random order for clients page

Stefan Thomas moon at justmoon.de
Tue Jul 10 02:36:39 UTC 2012

> I think by "users" you mean, geeks who understand wiki syntax.

The point is to expand the circle of contributors. I'm pretty sure there
are more people who can edit a wiki than people who know HTML and how to
create a git pull request. :)

> Inability to agree on columns isn't why the page looks like that.

My apologies, I vaguely remembered Luke's original proposal and that it
got rejected, but you're correct, the reason wasn't a debate on the
columns but that people didn't like the feature matrix at all.

I didn't really mean to argue on the details of what the page should
look like, but just to briefly respond to Mike's point:

> It looks like that because feature matrices aren't especially helpful
> for newbies to make a decision, especially when the "features" in
> question were often things like how they handled the block chain or
> which protocol standards they support, ie, things only of interest to
> developers.

A well-designed feature matrix can quite useful and user-friendly.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/compare-ipod-models/

Prose is better to get a sense of the philosophy and basic idea of a
client. If it was between having only a feature matrix or only prose,
I'd probably go for the prose as well.

What a feature matrix is good at though is it allows you to very quickly
find the specific feature or general criteria you're looking for without
reading through all of the text. So it might be a useful addition maybe
not on Bitcoin.org, but certainly on the wiki.