[Bitcoin-development] Reconsidering block version number use

Peter Vessenes peter at coinlab.com
Tue Jul 24 08:01:11 UTC 2012

I think it would be great to have more nonce space with less merkle
calculation; keeping track of all possible versions of a block already
takes real RAM, real computation. Being able to change one bit in the
header and send out a new block for checking would ease our pool server
work by a real amount, somewhat on the work generation side, but also on
the checking old work side; we'll have a lot fewer unique transaction /
coinbase sets to hold on to for checking when we get back a solution.

Peter

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:

> > That'd be 7 bytes of nonce in the block header, which is
> >   72,057,594,037,927,936  ~ 72 petahashes = 72,000 terahashes
> >
> > So: the changes for version 2 blocks would be "has height in the
> > coinbase, and has a 1-byte version number with a 3-byte extranonce."
>
> I don't understand why more nonce bits are necessary. Is it really
> impossible for a multi-core CPU to keep up with the merkle root
> re-calculation and keep an ASIC miner fed, or is this working around a
> performance bottleneck somewhere else?

[image: CoinLab Logo]PETER VESSENES
CEO

*peter at coinlab.com * /  206.486.6856  / SKYPE: vessenes
811 FIRST AVENUE  /  SUITE 480  /  SEATTLE, WA 98104