[Bitcoin-development] Near-term scalability

Amir Taaki zgenjix at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 18:50:47 UTC 2012

> less expensive. This is no more "real" or less "artificial" then an
> imposed licensing fee or the like and it is not subject to market
> forces.

Sure, the market is not always efficient nor desirable. This seems more like a social question though about choice and information. I do strongly feel that users should have more control over their technology, and a say in how Bitcoin operates. It is our job to present the choices and inform them to make good decisions. If we think how to implement this with a social component of the users operating the network rather than hard and fast rules, I think that's the preferrable way.

Part of the problem is that Satoshi didn't totally anticipate the growth of the network. The block reward (the subsidy) is too high, which is why transactions can afford to be so cheap. What would happen if blocks required a cumulative fee of XN BTC for N transactions before being accepted?