[Bitcoin-development] Proposed new P2P command and response: getcmds, cmdlist

Wladimir laanwj at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 06:45:00 UTC 2012

As replied on the github issue:

Personally I still think it's better to have a clear standardized "protocol
version", that implies what capabilities are supported, instead of a
capability-based system that explicitly lists them.

Capability-based systems (just look at OpenGL) tend to become horrendously
complex, as you have to take into account all possible combinations of
possible interactions, and constantly check for support of specific
features instead of just comparing a version number.

Sure, it can be necessary to distinguish between different types of nodes,
but there is no need to make it this fine-grained.

Wladimir