[Bitcoin-development] Proposed new P2P command and response: getcmds, cmdlist

Andy Parkins andyparkins at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 08:16:24 UTC 2012

On Saturday 16 Jun 2012 07:45:00 Wladimir wrote:
> As replied on the github issue:
>
> Personally I still think it's better to have a clear standardized
> "protocol version", that implies what capabilities are supported,
> instead of a capability-based system that explicitly lists them.
>
> Capability-based systems (just look at OpenGL) tend to become
> horrendously complex, as you have to take into account all possible
> combinations of possible interactions, and constantly check for support
> of specific features instead of just comparing a version number.
>
> Sure, it can be necessary to distinguish between different types of
> nodes, but there is no need to make it this fine-grained.

It's less of a problem in a (nearly) stateless protocol like Bitcoin.

I like the idea of a capabilities command; as time goes on and the ecosystem
of thin/spv/semi-thin/headers-only/blocks-on-demand/reverse-search-
blockchain/memory-pool-query clients becomes more varied, it's going to be
more an more important.  The particular example that occurs is thin clients
connecting to the network are going to want to ensure they are connected to
at least one non-thin client.

Andy

--
Dr Andy Parkins