[Bitcoin-development] Ultimate Blockchain Compression w/ trust-free lite nodes

Alan Reiner etotheipi at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 18:39:28 UTC 2012

All,

With the flurry of discussion about blockchain compression, I thought it
was time to put forward my final, most-advanced idea, into a single,
well-thought-out, *illustrated*, forum post.     Please check it out:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88208.0

This is a huge undertaking, but it has some pretty huge benefits.  And
it's actually feasible because it can be implemented without disrupting
the main network.  I'm sure there's lots of issues with it, but I'm
putting it out there to see how it might be improved and actually executed.

----
*/Use a special tree data structure to organize all unspent-TxOuts on
the network, and use the root of this tree to communicate its
"signature" between nodes.  The leaves of this tree actually correspond
to addresses/scripts, and the data at the leaf is actually a root of the
unspent-TxOut list for that address/script.  To maintain security of the
tree signatures, it will be included in the header of an alternate
blockchain, which will be secured by merged mining.

This provides the same compression as the simpler unspent-TxOut merkle
tree, but also gives nodes a way to download just the unspent-TxOut list
for each address in their wallet, and verify that list directly against
the blockheaders.  Therefore, even lightweight nodes can get full
address information, from any untrusted peer, and with only a tiny
amount of downloaded data (a few kB). /*
*----

Alright, tear it up!
-Alan