[Bitcoin-development] New P2P commands for diagnostics, SPV clients

Matt Corallo bitcoin-list at bluematt.me
Tue Jun 19 19:09:58 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-06-16 at 10:27 +0200, Mike Hearn wrote:
> > I'd much rather have an overloaded node respond with 50% fp rate filters
> > as an option if there aren't many full nodes available than simply
> > disconnect SPV clients.
>
> I don't think the bloom filter settings have any impact on server-side
> load ... a node still has to check every transaction against the
> filter regardless of how that filter is configured, which means the
> same amount of disk io and processing.
>
> How can you reduce load on a peer by negotiating different filter settings?
Agreed, I was largely giving a reason why one may want to negotiate the
filter settings in response to your question as to why it was done.  As
long as there are sane limits (you cant make a 1GB filter by specifying
0% fp and some crazy number of entires), filter negotiation largely isnt
worth it (also prevents any floats from appearing in the p2p protocol,
though in either case it shouldn't be able to cause issues).

Matt