[Bitcoin-development] LevelDB benchmarking

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Wed Jun 20 09:44:48 UTC 2012

Thanks, I didn't realize BitcoinJS used LevelDB already.

Just one minor thing - LevelDB was definitely designed for servers, as
it comes from BigTable. It happens to be used in Chrome today, and
that was the motivation for open sourcing it, but that's not where the
design came from.

If anything it's going to get less and less optimal for desktops and
laptops over time because they're moving towards SSDs, where the
minimal-seeks design of LevelDB doesn't necessarily help. Servers are
moving too of course but I anticipate most Bitcoin nodes on servers to
be HDD based for the forseeable future.

Also, Satoshis code does use ordered access/iteration in at least one
place, where it looks up the "owner transactions" of a tx. I'm not
totally sure what that code is used for, but it's there. Whether it's
actually the best way to solve the problem is another question :-)