[Bitcoin-development] getmemorypool BIP process

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Sat Mar 3 15:00:27 UTC 2012

On Saturday, March 03, 2012 9:23:08 AM Stefan Thomas wrote:
>  From what I understand the BIP uses a polling model, e.g. a miner would
> use getmemorypool to request new work from a pool in intervals. Would it
> make sense to specify a version of the API supporting long polling?

You mean explicitly mention the getwork longpoll protocol as part of the
getmemorypool BIP? Probably a good idea.

> For BitcoinJS specifically, since we also support JSON-RPC over TCP, I'd
> even be interested in a genuine "push" API. Something like C->S
> "listenmemorypool", S->C "updatememorypool" (continually).

HTTP and JSON-RPC are a client-server model; there is no way for the server to
make calls to the client. It's not practical to expect clients to run their
own JSON-RPC server - many cannot listen on WAN ports at all.