[Bitcoin-development] getmemorypool BIP process

Stefan Thomas moon at justmoon.de
Sun Mar 4 00:18:09 UTC 2012

> Btw - question to Stefan as the JavaScript guru - what do you consider the standard/defacto-standard/right/best-practice way of doing S->C json-rpc, what (javascript) library do you use for this?

As for an explicitly standard way, there is none. The JSON-RPC 1.0 spec
<http://json-rpc.org/wiki/specification> says "The specifications do not
require a certain transport protocol. The use of TCP/IP socket streams
is encouraged. The serialized request and response objects are sent to
the peers through the byte streams. " The JSON-RPC 2.0 spec
<http://jsonrpc.org/specification> goes out of its way to say "It is
transport agnostic in that the concepts can be used within the same
process, over sockets, over http, or in many various message passing
environments."

The de-facto standard for bidirectional JSON-RPC is plain TCP sockets.
BitcoinJS currently implements this - we detect whether an incoming
connection is HTTP or raw JSON-RPC based on the first character. (HTTP
must start with an uppercase letter, raw JSON-RPC must start with an
opening curly bracket.)

There are two things to watch out for with JSON-RPC over plain TCP:

1. Plain TCP sockets (unlike HTTP) have no standardized authentication
mechanism, so I added an extra RPC call auth("username", "password").

2. The TCP packets may or may not correspond to JSON-RPC messages. You
can either use a streaming JSON parser (yajl in ANSI C, Jackson in Java,
etc.), or you can just count (non-string-literal) curly braces to detect
when a complete message has arrived.

Many JSON-RPC libraries come with TCP socket support out of the box:
http://json-rpc.org/wiki/implementations

We're planning to add more features to our JSON-RPC API in the future,
such as:

- JSON-RPC over TLS sockets
- Challenge-response authentication
- TLS client handshake (certificate authentication)

As for HTTP Keep-Alive: It works, but I don't think it's very widely
supported among client libraries and HTTP isn't really made for this
type of thing, so my gut instinct would be to avoid it. That said, it
doesn't hurt to offer the option.