[Bitcoin-development] URI Handling in Bitcoin-Qt

Wladimir laanwj at gmail.com
Thu May 3 05:46:56 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 6:28 AM, Alan Reiner <etotheipi at gmail.com> wrote:

> **
> *(1) *What is the status & plans for supporting "bitcoin:" URIs in the
> Satoshi client?  My understanding is that it currently creates URIs, but
> does *not* register itself with the OS to handle such links.  Is this
> accurate?  This seems like a very high-value feature, and I'd recommend
> that we consider it a priority -- I can't think of any other upgrade that
> can improve usability so dramatically on the desktop.

It is already implemented for Linux (Gnome) and Windows, but there is an
issue with boost::ipc that crashed bitcoin at startup on windows, so it's
temporarily disabled on Windows.

> *(2) *I need to understand better what the intentions were behind
> "label=" and "message=".  The way I understand it is that Bitcoin-Qt uses
> and stores only address-labels, and no other transactional info is stored
> in the wallet.  As such, the "message=" field would be displayed to the
> user when a "bitcoin:" link is clicked, but that message wouldn't be saved
> anywhere.

Label is a label for the destination address, message is a freeform message
describing the transaction.

I don't think the message is currently stored in the Satoshi client. That
feature is somewhere on our way-too-long issue and todo list.

But I understand that you want to add transaction meta-data fields such as
contact information, bought items, item prices?

Wladimir