[Bitcoin-development] Punishing empty blocks?

Peter Vessenes peter at coinlab.com
Fri May 25 14:00:09 UTC 2012

We just implemented our own mining tool, soup-to-nuts, and I would say that
the likely motivation for what I presume are botnet owners is just economic.

It's a lot more work to make sure your merkleing and keeping up-to-date are
happening than it is to just get an 80 byte header from a central server,
and re-calc a single transaction merkle client-side.

Not to mention the extra work to keep track of what version of
getmemorypool output you're receiving work for in a broadly distributed
pool.

For what it's worth, we did this extra engineering work since we care about
Bitcoin, but if I just wanted to pull value out of the ecosystem, we would
have skipped it.

The only solutions to this are economic solutions -- making such 'cheater'
blocks less valuable, or increasing the value of the transactions.

Also note that botnet operators likely care, in the end, about fiat
currency, so going to 25 btc per block in what I think of as transaction
fee subsidies won't necessarily impact this -- it's a matter of what
happens to exchange rates vs generation rates that will matter.

I think we also have to moderate this consideration against the rights (and
arguable benefits) of someone wanting to build an express-delivery mining
service, one that will provide provably faster certification for those
adding a transaction fee of, say, 1 btc.

My own experience now in the MMO world is that we have to carefully
understand how we deal with griefers who control massive resources (compute
or gold-farmers). It may not be a winning battle to choose a solution which
harms the rest of the network in exchange for harming the griefers.

This is definitely out of the box, but one solution might be to change the
difficulty calculations to just ignore 1tx blocks; that would minimize
impact on others to a great extent, and would let someone set up an express
block service if they chose. I guess we'd have to settle on whether or not
such blocks counted towards the issuance countdown as well. Or, we could
allow only 1/10 generation fees on such blocks.

Peter

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Alan Reiner <etotheipi at gmail.com> wrote:

> I like the concept except that it only works if every node connected to
> the miner enforces the rule (if it works).  Once any one of the nodes
> forwards the block,  other nodes see it coming from a node that can pass
> the challenge.
>
> I don't think any solution based on node queries will succeed,  especially
> if it requires spontaneous super-majority-of-nodes acceptance.  I think
> it's gotta be based on the block itself and each nodes' own info.
>
> If you could spontaneously get all miners to agree not to build off of
> anti-social blocks (however that is defined) ,  it would have a chance of
> making a difference,  but individual miners would have an advantage
> building off the antisocial block because they only need to produce one to
> create the longest chain (and collect reward) while the miners following
> the rules need two blocks.
>
> --Sent from my overpriced smartphone
> On May 25, 2012 3:48 AM, "Christian Decker" <decker.christian at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> How about a simple proof of work test? This one though does not ask for
>> CPU work but asks the miner for a random old transaction. If the miner
>> really stores the entire blockchain he will not have any problem answering
>> to that getdata request, whereas a botnet would have to ask someone else
>> for it, which could be detected if the response time deviates too much from
>> what has been previously measured (compare it against getdata for the block
>> they advertise). It's not perfect but it allows an estimate of whether it
>> is a chainless miner.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Chris
>> --
>> Christian Decker

>>> The times in your log are very accurate, assuming your system clock is
>>> remotely accurate.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jeff Garzik
>>> exMULTI, Inc.