[Bitcoin-development] IRC meeting agenda, 18:00 UTC Thursday

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Tue Nov 6 22:12:53 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, November 06, 2012 7:56:23 PM slush wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Luke-Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> > But more important to the success of BIP today, I think, is encouraging
> > wider community participation.
>
> It's not about BIP process, it's possibly about content of particular
> proposals.
> I promised to write BIP draft for Stratum, I proposed and implemented
> get_transactions method to allow Stratum jobs inspection. What more do you
> want, seriously? I'm soo tired by you, Luke.

Perhaps the problem lies in misunderstanding of the BIP process, then, rather
than awareness of it. BIP isn't just "write a document"; that's just the first
step. The main thing is that it gets peer review, changed to meet the
community's needs, and when done should result in a common standard suitable
to the needs of the whole community. Whatever the reason, there was a failure
of key members of the community to participate in the GBT BIP process and
ensure it addressed their needs/wants; identifying and addressing that is
something that would improve the BIP process.

get_transactions is a step in the right direction, and I don't think anyone
expects Stratum to reach the same level as GBT overnight considering it took
months for GBT (though I have no doubt now that the GBT discussions have taken
place, that some dedicated individual could probably combine the two if they
dedicated a few days to it). My comments, however, were not intended to bash
stratum or mere complain about the past (it can't be changed), but an attempt
to learn from the past and figure out how we can improve things the next time
around.

Luke