[Bitcoin-development] Electrum security model concerns

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Fri Nov 16 17:44:32 UTC 2012

BTW have you checked the code? I took a quick look and didn't see things I
was expecting to see. In particular I couldn't find any code that manages
wallet state in the presence of re-orgs. It appears to check that
transactions appeared in the block chain, but if there's a chain switch
it's not clear to me the wallet will be in the right state.

I saw a message from Thomas on his thread saying something like "can't
spend coins bug happens when there's a re-org and the server gives you the
wrong histories, to fix it reset your wallet and switch to a new server"
.... which to me rather implies there's no re-org handling at all.

If Electrum does end up doing all SPV work correctly, how is it different
to MultiBit? Just the deterministic wallet seeding?