[Bitcoin-development] Payment Protocol Proposal: Invoices/Payments/Receipts

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at exmulti.com
Mon Nov 26 23:52:55 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Gavin Andresen <gavinandresen at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is the next big "lets all agree to do things the same way" thing
> I think we should tackle. I'm particularly looking for feedback from
> other bitcoin client developers, even if it is just a quick "looks
> reasonable, if everybody else is going to do it then I will
> (eventually) too..."

Comments:

1) Payment message should include ability to specify the transaction
_or_ a transaction id sent via normal means over the network.

2) I think a significant bitcoin userbase will want to operate outside
the full root-CA chain.  Just look at https:// websites now.
Self-signed certs are quite common, because it is easier, while being
more secure than http://

So some provision for self-signed certs, a use case in wide use
elsewhere, or equivalent thereof, seems reasonable.

--
Jeff Garzik
exMULTI, Inc.
jgarzik at exmulti.com