[Bitcoin-development] Payment Protocol Proposal: Invoices/Payments/Receipts

Gavin Andresen gavinandresen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 14:26:07 UTC 2012

One more thought:

RE: "Receipt" verus "Acceptance" :

I believe "Receipt" is the right term-- it means "I got your payment",
NOT "your payment has cleared."  E.g. if I hand a merchant a paper
check they'll hand me a receipt, but the check could still bounce.
That's the analogy here-- a merchant might give you a receipt, but if
the transaction is rejected by the network for whatever reason (Finney
attack maybe) you cannot expect to go to court with your
invoice/receipt and claim you made a valid payment.

Gavin Andresen