[Bitcoin-development] Payment Protocol Proposal: Invoices/Payments/Receipts

Roy Badami roy at gnomon.org.uk
Thu Nov 29 19:01:24 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 06:31:24PM +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> > I'd still like to understand the rationale for having the merchant
> > broadcast the transaction
>
> There are several reasons for this:

[snip]

All good reasons, thanks for the explanation.

Though I still like my idea of a ValidatePurchase message that allows
a buyer to ask a merchant "would you accept this payment?" without
actually supplying a signed transaction.  Make it optional if you care
about minimising the number of round trips, e.g. for fast NFC
payments.

Having such a message reduces the extent to which you need to trust
the merchant not to spend a transaction that they've rejected.  (And
in the non-Internet connected case this is particularly useful since
the client won't have the ability to broadcast a pay-to-self
transaction.)

roy