[Bitcoin-development] Bitcoin Testing Project

Peter Vessenes peter at coinlab.com
Mon Oct 1 16:52:13 UTC 2012

I'm a big proponent of a testing project.

I think if one could self organize that Gavin and team wanted to bless we
could put up some BTC as bounties or funding. We won't have our heads
around the foundation budget for a few more weeks, but self-organization is
often slower than budgeting. :)

This is just my opinion, but I would like very, very much to move the
current specification into unit tests so that anyone could validate their
alternate bitcoin implementation. This is a lot of work, some of which has
been done, much of which hasn't.

So, my two cents, plus an offer to bring it up at our next budgeting
meeting.

Peter

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 7:28 AM, steve <steve at mistfpga.net> wrote:

> On 01/10/2012 14:52, Arklan Uth Oslin wrote:
> > Hi guys.
> >
> > So, as I mentioned on the bitcointalk.org forums thread about the
> > foundation, I want to get involved in the QA side of bitcoin
> > development. I've done functional testing in the video game
> > industry for years.
>
> Nice one, I worked in games for quite a few years. (before getting
> into finance then pentesting) there are about 6 keen testers now.
> maybe we should get a bitcoin-test mailing list, where we can discuss
> stuff without disturbing the dev team.
>
> > I've read all the messages in this thread, but I'm left unclear
> > how I can most effectively and quickly being helping out. Could I
> > get a bit of a directional nudge?
>
> Great question... for me I feel structure is the most important thing
> to sort out first.  However we desperately need detailed testcases for
> the release of a new version. - Not too much on the change log stuff,
> more on the noddy stuff (as gavin points out below), downloading and
> making sure it works on a non dev machine, make sure the wallet isnt
> overwritten, etc.) doing games qa I imagine this would be an ideal
> place for you to start.  I have a MSDN and TechNet licence so if you
> need some reference ms virtual machines I can help you out.
>
> However we need some testcase software.  Please check out what was
> done on bettermeans for the stuff I was planning out...
>
> It details everything from recompense and testcases. bettermeans kinda
> died a death though...
>
> check out:
>
> Bitcoin over all-
> https://secure.bettermeans.com/projects/4180/wiki/Page_index
> discussion
> https://secure.bettermeans.com/projects/4180/boards
>
> 0.7
> https://secure.bettermeans.com/projects/4256/boards
> and
> https://secure.bettermeans.com/projects/4256/wiki
>
> I still have the testcases, but until we get some proper testcase
> software I am loathed to publish them in a half arsed format. (they
> worked well on bettermeans, then just vanished one day...) what
> testcase software are you familiar with?
>
> apart from that, what do you feel you can do for the project? how long
> have you been involved in bitcoin?  It may well be worth reading up
> all the dev stuff on the wiki so you can get you head around how the
> bitcoin protocol is different from the daemon and qt client. What do
> you think you can and will enjoy doing? What is your skill set in
> regard to networking, crypto and operating systems. (not that you need
> any, in any we still want and need you. :)
>
> there really is room for you to do whatever role you want, and as
> little or as much as you want - however funding is now a very tricky
> issue. so much so that I am not sure I want anything to do with
> it(distribution of coin based on work.). - I just paid for some logo
> spec work out of my own pocket (for example).  I have some testers i
> [...]

[image: CoinLab Logo]PETER VESSENES
CEO

*peter at coinlab.com * /  206.486.6856  / SKYPE: vessenes
811 FIRST AVENUE  /  SUITE 480  /  SEATTLE, WA 98104