[Bitcoin-development] performance testing for bitcoin

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at exmulti.com
Wed Oct 3 17:43:36 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Ian Miers <imiers1 at jhu.edu> wrote:
> Whats the best way to get performance numbers for modifications to bitcoin ?
> Profiling it while running on testnet might work, but that would take a
> rather long time to get data.
> Is there anyway to speed this up  if we only needed to provide  relative
> performance between tests. (in a sense a fast performance regression test).

You have to be specific about what you're measuring, because
"performance" is vague.

You can measure many aspects of blockchain performance by importing
blocks via -loadblock=FILE.

Other performance measurements like "how fast does a block relay
through the network" cannot be as easily measured.

--
Jeff Garzik
exMULTI, Inc.
jgarzik at exmulti.com