[Bitcoin-development] Post-0.7.1 tree freeze for ultraprune

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at exmulti.com
Wed Oct 10 18:40:55 UTC 2012

Proposal:  following 0.7.1 release, freeze the tree.  Do not pull
anything, until ultraprune is pulled (or rejected, but I think the
latter is unlikely).

Common sense exceptions still apply (critical bug fixes, etc.)

Ultraprune does not need to be "perfect" to be pulled... this pull
would occur at the beginning of 0.8, leaving lots of room for
hammering out final details in-tree.  The main hurdle is really
getting everyone to ACK the overall design and direction of the
ultraprune branch, especially Gavin.

Collecting those high-level design ACKs is more important to bitcoin
overall than even fine-grained code review; code mistakes can be fixed
in-tree during 0.8 development, once we all agree this is the correct
_design_.  The real code mistakes and "sharp edges" will only be found
now with wide field testing.

For the record:  yes, Design-ACK from me.

--
Jeff Garzik
exMULTI, Inc.
jgarzik at exmulti.com