[Bitcoin-development] Draft BIP for Bloom filtering

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Wed Oct 24 15:56:07 UTC 2012

I've written a draft BIP describing the bloom filtering protocol
extension developed by myself and Matt.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/BIP_0037

(yes I know there's some kind of process around getting allocated a
number - it seems overkill for this).

Please read it and let me know if there are any missing details or
things which sound wrong.

Design-wise, it occurred to me as I wrote the BIP that the method of
delaying reception of invs is a bit ad-hoc. It may be better to have a
bloom filter be sent in the version message itself. On the other hand,
having a flag to delay invs means that the filter can be calculated in
parallel to bringing up the network connections. Whilst actually
making a Bloom filter is fast, with deterministic wallets you may need
to do a lot of calculations to find the keys to scan for.