[Bitcoin-development] Draft BIP for Bloom filtering

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 14:17:04 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:
> If you just want to waste bandwidth of nodes you can connect to nodes
> and repeatedly download blocks, or fill the network with fake nodes
> that spam random generated transactions to whoever connects. I don't
> see how to avoid that  so it seems odd to worry about a much more
> complicated attack.

Because I can potentially waste bandwidth of all nodes forever (well as long
as users are still scanning blocks with my transactions in them) with O(1) work.

Though I'm not sure how much of a threat is vs just paying 1e-8 btc to lots of
addresses which would only be less bad by some constant factor as worse.
I guess I should try to attack it and see how bad the pollution I can construct
should be. (offline, of course)