[Bitcoin-development] Segmented Block Relaying BIP draft.

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Mon Sep 10 18:59:03 UTC 2012

On Monday, September 10, 2012 3:07:52 PM Matthew Mitchell wrote:
> Here is a BIP draft for improving the block relaying and validation so that
> it can be done in parallel and so that redundancy can be removed. This
> becomes more beneficial the larger the block sizes are.
>
> https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/User:MatthewLM/ImprovedBlockRelayingProposal

Most of the problem with block propagation lies in implementation, not
protocol... Distributing missing transaction on an as-needed basis is a
possible improvement at the protocol level, but there hasn't (AFAIK) been any
research into whether the little benefit outweighs the cost yet. In any case,
I don't see why 6 new messages are needed instead of simply adding a single
new type to getinv?