[Bitcoin-development] separate out blockchain db and wallet to two dirs?

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 03:03:23 UTC 2012

Linux typically uses the FHS, which various distros often bastardize:
 http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/lsb/fhs
BSD typically uses the traditional hierarchy, for which admins
 often add /home and /opt:
 http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/share/man/man7/hier.7?revision=HEAD&view=markup

You'd have to read them both and decide which camp you're in.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

Since bitcoin isn't really an X app at it's core, XDG doesn't really
apply.
 http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

Further, bitcoin doesn't allow easy separation of the files without
detachdb (off by default), nor does it supply a user agnostic system
daemon to do the block processing separately from user wallet ops.
So I would suggest until then it remain split up somewhere under
.bitcoin rather than in /var or anywhere else.

And when you figure out where I should place my messages in
full the first time, please let me know because I obviously need help.