[Bitcoin-development] separate out blockchain db and wallet to two dirs?

Wladimir laanwj at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 05:27:47 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 3:57 AM, Scott Howard <showard314 at gmail.com> wrote:

> This idea is from a Debian user [1].
>
> What do you think of moving the > 2 GB db to $HOME/.cache/bitcoin and
> leaving the wallet and other config files in $HOME/.bitcoin? This is
> so backups can skip the .cache directory and the proposal follows the
> freedesktop.org XDG Base Directory Specification [2]. Personal
> info/settings stays in .bitcoin/ and everything that can be rebuilt
> goes to .cache/bitcoin/ I know users can do a work around and set it
> up themselves with symlinks, but interested in what you guys think.

This is currently not feasible due to BerkelyDB limitations. All the
databases are within one 'environment', which is necessarily one directory
(it can probably be hacked around, but obviously we're really careful).

When LevelDB for the block chain and the custom format for the wallets is
introduces, various new configurations will be possible: Multiple wallets,
wallet in block chain in separate dirs, etc.

Wladimir