[Bitcoin-development] On-going data spam

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 19:25:37 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 7:39 AM, Caleb James DeLisle
<calebdelisle at lavabit.com> wrote:
> what anti-virus software might do when certain streams of bytes are sent across
> the tcp socket or persisted to disk. Perhaps worth contacting an AV company and
> asking what is the smallest data they have a signature on.

I stuffed the testnet chain full of the EICAR test string and it
hasn't triggered for anyone— it seems that (most?) AV tools do not
scan big binary files of unknown type.. apparently.

If we encounter a case where they do we can implement storage
scrambling: E.g. every node picks a random word and all their stored
data is xored with it.