[Bitcoin-development] To prevent arbitrary data storage in txouts — The Ultimate Solution

Peter Todd pete at petertodd.org
Wed Apr 10 03:03:01 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 07:53:38PM -0700, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

Note how we can already do this: P2SH uses Hash160, which is
RIPE160(SHA256(d)) We still need a new P2SH *address* type, that
provides the full 256 bits, but no-one uses P2SH addresses yet anyway.

This will restrict data stuffing to brute forcing hash collisions. It'd
be interesting working out the math for how effective that is, but it'll
certainely be expensive in terms of time hashing power that could solve
shares instead.