[Bitcoin-development] RFC: extend signmessage/verifymessage to P2SH multisig

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Sun Apr 14 05:26:37 UTC 2013

On Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:09:58 AM Peter Todd wrote:
> Currently signmessage/verifymessage only supports messages signed by a
> single key. We should extend that to messages signed by n-of-m keys, or
> from the users point of view, P2SH multisig addresses.

I think it would be wise to figure out HD wallet changes before trying to
extend message signing. For privacy/safety, it would be a good idea to avoid
signing with the same private key twice under any circumstances, so it might
make sense to create a new address format the represent a chain of keys
instead of one key or combination of keys.

Luke