[Bitcoin-development] Sending Bitcoins using RSA keys

Craig B Agricola craig at theagricolas.org
Wed Apr 24 14:46:49 UTC 2013

Maybe I'm missing something crucial, but what benefit does this dance give over
the slightly more obvious mechanism of simply:
1) Alice generates a new address with her bitcoin client and sends the BTC to
   this new address
2) Alice exports the private key for that address (there is a well supported
   format for that)
3) Alice writes a nice email to Bob, including that exported private key
4) Alice encrypts the email with Bob's public key using GPG and sends it to him
   by email
5) Bob decrypts the email
6) Bob imports the private key into his wallet

There's no need for sending a whole wallet; just the one key is needed.  Every
bit of infrastructure needed above already exists.  And of course, the above
has the same issue as your proposal; this is a way for two trusting parties to
send BTC without using the Bitcoin network, but it's not a payment mechanism.
They now share control of an address; whoever spends that BTC first wins, so
until Bob uses the Bitcoin network to spend that BTC to another address that
only he controls, it's still in joint custody.  And if ensuring that he has
control of the BTC is the last (implicit) step in the procedure above, as well
as yours, then they might as well have simply used the Bitcoin network to do
the transfer in the first place.

Did I miss the point entirely?

 -Craig

PS. Re-reading, I realize that the above might come off sounding snarky or
    dismissive; it's not intended that way.  I'm wondering if I'm missing the
    big picture.