[Bitcoin-development] Preparing for the Cryptopocalypse

Alan Reiner etotheipi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 05:37:53 UTC 2013

Whoops, I didn't mean to run us down the Quantum Computing debate path.
I was simply using my experience with QCs as a basis for questioning the
conclusion that ECDLP is so much more robust than RSA/factoring
problems.  It's possible we would simply be jumping from one burning
bridge to another burning bridge by rushing to convert everything to ECC
in the event of a factoring breakthrough.

>From the perspective of quantum computers, it seems those two problems
are essentially the same.  As I said, I remember that one of the
problems is solved by using the solution/circuit for the other.  But I
don't know if this relationship holds outside the realm of QCs.   The
guy who did this presentation said he's not a mathematician and/or
cryptographer, yet he still strongly asserts the superiority of ECDLP.
I'm not convinced.

On 08/05/2013 01:29 AM, John Dillon wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 3:30 AM, Peter Vessenes <peter at coinlab.com> wrote:
> > I studied with Jeffrey Hoffstein at Brown, one of the creators of
NTRU. He

http://www.di.ens.fr/~ducas/NTRUSign_Cryptanalysis/DucasNguyen_Learning.pdf

> Having said that my understanding is also that the break requires a few
> thousand signatures, so perhaps for Bitcoin it would still be
acceptable given
> that we can, and should, never create more than one signature for any
given key
> anyway. You would be betting that improving the attack from a few thousand
> signatures to one is not possible however.
>
> In any case, worst comes to worst there are always lamport signatures.
If they