[Bitcoin-development] Safe auto-updating

Wendell w at grabhive.com
Mon Aug 5 14:39:49 UTC 2013

For usability purposes, we at Hive would like to have an auto-updater in our wallet app.

What is a safe way to do this? I understand that Bitcoin-QT lacks such an updater for security reasons... Has been thought out in more detail since that decision was made?

We have been toying around with the idea of placing one server behind a Tor hidden service, whose only function is to output a checksum of the update package. The theory is that if it is well-secured, it will at least be immune to tampering at the physical hosting level.

Any thoughts or advice about any of this?

-wendell

grabhive.com | twitter.com/grabhive | gpg: 6C0C9411