[Bitcoin-development] Safe auto-updating

Daniel F nanotube at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 15:54:02 UTC 2013

If you want package authentication, you should at least throw in some
digital signing, not just a checksum. With a compromised host, both the
checksum and binaries can be changed undetectably, but if there's a
signature made by a key that is not kept on the host, there's no way to
fake a valid binary.

There may be other issues people would want to bring up, but surely just
a checksum is not sufficient.

on 08/05/2013 10:39 AM Wendell said the following:
> For usability purposes, we at Hive would like to have an
> auto-updater
in our wallet app.

> What is a safe way to do this? I understand that Bitcoin-QT lacks
> such
an updater for security reasons... Has been thought out in more detail
since that decision was made?

> We have been toying around with the idea of placing one server
> behind
a Tor hidden service, whose only function is to output a checksum of the
update package. The theory is that if it is well-secured, it will at
least be immune to tampering at the physical hosting level.