[Bitcoin-development] Safe auto-updating

Wendell w at grabhive.com
Wed Aug 7 04:32:08 UTC 2013

That multisignature/blockchain commitment idea seems really solid, Peter.

Thanks very much indeed everyone, this is all very helpful. Much to research and think about.

Interestingly, a thread is presently raging on liberationtech about Tor Browser Bundle, and the subject of automatic updates has come up. Gregory Maxwell responded thusly (cross-posting for completeness):

> _please_ don't deploy automatic updates in a sensitive environment
> like this without at least quorum signatures (like gitian downloader)
> and timed quarantine with negative signatures (harder to make strong
> absent a jamming proof network).

-wendell

grabhive.com | twitter.com/grabhive | gpg: 6C0C9411